TAILS CREEK............., Gilmer County, Georgia. Located in the western section of the county, it is a tributary of the Coosawattee River. The stream was named after Cherokee Indians called Tail who lived along its banks. Named for the stream was a former community of TAILS CREEK, located eight miles west of Ellijay.
Fort Hetzel marker............. located on the Zell Miller Mountain Parkway (US 76) at 1st Ave east of Ellijay, GA. Fort Hetzel 1838 to 1868. In 1838 1100 Cherokee Indians were assembled on this site to take the trail of tears to Oklahoma. One of fifteen roundup posts in Georgia, Ft. Hetzel was one of the earliest established (October, 1837), one of ten that were stockaded, and one of three occupied and stockaded by the winter of 1837.
The M41 Walker Bulldog was a U.S. light tank developed to replace the M24 Chaffee. It was named for General Walton Walker who died in a jeep accident in Korea. On 7 November 1950, the US Ordnance Committee Minutes (OCM) issued item #33476, redesignating the heavy, medium, and light tank classifications to classifications according to armament; the 120mm (heavy) Gun Tanks, 90mm (medium) Gun Tanks, and the 76mm (light) Gun tanks.
Cherokee County Gold State Historical Marker............... Located at the Cherokee County Courthouse, Canton Georgia. Cherokee County, located along Georgias gold belt, figured prominently in the gold rush of the 1830s and 40s. Several mines operated along a five mile area near the Eteowah River in the northeastern part of the county, including the Franklin-Creighton, Sandow, and latham Mines. More than 30 other small placer mines extended southwesterly across the county and included the Sixes Mine, worked earlier by the Cherokees.
Fort Buffington State Historical Marker...............Located on Ga. 20, Five Miles East of I-575, Cherokee County, Georgia. One-half mile north is the site of Fort Buffington, built in the 1830s by local militia. It was one of about 25 stockades in the Cherokee Indian Nation used by Federal and State troops during the Cherokee Removal in 1838. In May and June, 1838, 7,000 soldiers forced over 15,000 Cherokee Indians from their homes and held them in the stockades until removal west could take place. Many Indians from the local area were held at Fort Buffington.