John Ross..........a man with the legend touch, walked tall upon the earth and cast a long shadow. He set a precedent in democratic political history that will never be broken. By free ballot, he was elected to ten successive terms of four years each as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation. At what point the home became known as the Ross House is unclear, but it probably was shortly after Johns arrival in 1808. Poplar Springs became known as Rossville by 1813 and young John founded the town of Ross Landing about that time.
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker................Located on US 41 just south of Pine Grove Church north of Ringgold, Georgia. For the last eight miles this highway has followed closely the course of the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia's earliest vehicular thoroughfare and first postal route. It led this way from the southeast Cherokee boundry, in the direction of Athens, Georgia, via Tate, Talking Rock, Spring Place and Ringgold, running toward Nashville, Tennessee. The Indians granted formal rights to open the trace in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.
Old Stone Presbyterian Church State Historical Marker..................Located on Ga 2 just east of US 41 at Tiger Creek, Georgia.This Church, organized September 2, 1837, before the Cherokee Indians were removed from this area, was the first church organized by white settlers in the bounds of the present Catoosa County, according to available records. The organizers were a group of Scotch Irish Presbyterians from Tennessee or the Carolinas and the Charter Members were: Robert Magill, James H. McSpadden, Robert C.
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker..................Located on Ga 2 just east of US 41 at Tiger Creek, Georgia. This highway is part of the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare that linked Georgia and west Tennessee across the Indian Country. It began on the southeast boundary of the Cherokees, in the direction of Athens, Georgia and led toward Nashville via Rossville. Another branch ran from Ramhurst, Georgia toward Knoxville. Formal permission to open this road was granted by the Cherokees in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico.
Praters Mill ...............Built in 1855, the grist mill site is a trailhead for the Cohutta-Chattahoochee Scenic Byway. Praters Mill is also one of the stops of the Blue and Gray Trail featuring Civil War heritage in northwest Georgia. The site was a camp for 600 Union soldiers in February 1864 and 2500 Confederates in April 1864. Praters Mill is a site on Georgia Hwy. 2, which closely follows the original route of the 1805 Federal Road. The Federal Road is also a part of the Cherokee Trail of Tears route in Georgia.
CONASAUGA RIVER.......... is pronounced locally Conny-sawgee. It rises in northwest Fannin County, Georgia to enter Tennessee before flowing south to form the border between Murray and Whitfield counties, then enters Gordon County before flowing into the Coosawattee River northeast of Calhoun. The Cherokee word Conasaugawas used as the name of several ancient settlements in Tennessee and Georgia. The derivation of the name is from the Cherokee, kahnasagah, grass. CONASAUGA RIVER FERRY, on The Old Federal Road or Trail of Tears..........
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker...............Located on U.S. 411 at the south edge of Tennga, Georgia. For the next 25 miles southward this highway coincides closely with the course of the Old Federal Road, the first vehicular and postal way to join Tennessee and Georgia across the Cherokee Nation. Beginning on the southeast Indian boundary in the direction of Athens, the route led this way by Tate, Jasper and Talking rock. Rights to open the trace were granted informally by the Cherokees in 1803 and confirmed by the Treat of Tellico, Tenn. in 1805.
Fort Hoskins.............The fort may be located in a field south of the GA-225 S / Leonard Bridge Road intersection at Spring Place, Georgia. One of fifteen roundup posts in Georgia Ft. Hoskins was also one of ten that were fortified and one of five located on the Federal Road. Capt. Hamilton Garmany of Gwinnett County was posted to Ft. Hoskins, and Capt. Thomas F. Jones of Newton County commanded the post with one mounted company. By the end of May 1838, Capt. Jones had captured 79 Indians (19 men, 24 women, and 36 children). In June, Gen.
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker.................Located on U.S. 411 at the Diamond Carpet Mill just south of Eton, Georgia. This highway follows closely the course of the Old Federal Road, the first vehicular and postal route to link Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Informal permission to use the thoroughfare was granted by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by a treaty in 1805. Beginning on the southeast boundary of the Cherokees in the direction of Athens, the road led this way via Tate and Talking Rock.
Old Federal Road.................Located in front of Pickens County Courthouse, Jasper From Tate through Jasper to Talking Rock, this highway coincides closely with the course of the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgias first vehicular way which linked Tennessee and Georgia across the Cherokee Country. Permission to open the route was granted informally by the Cherokee Indians in 1803 and confirmed in a treaty of 1805. Emigrants from the lower Southeast followed this course into Tennessee and Alabama.