Kirby-Quinton Cabin............ sets on the site where the Simmons-Nelson-Trippe House sat on the Old Federal Road. Charles Nelson, James Simmons, Trippe ran a store north of present-day Jasper, Georgia.
Fort Newnan............... Pickens County, Georgia near the city of Blaine The Georgia chapter of the National Trail of Tears Association placed a metal marker at the site. One of fifteen roundup posts in Georgia, Fort Newnan was one of the ten that were fortified and one of five located on the Federal Road. Capt. John Dorsey commanded the post and one mounted company. A second company commanded by a LT Colonel was subsequently sent to the fort.
Fort Gilmer................Located on Old U.S. 411 four miles north of Carters One hundred yards east is the site of Fort Gilmer, built in 1838 to garrison U.S. troops ordered to enforce the removal from this region of the last Cherokee Indians under terms of the New Echota treaty of 1833. One of seven such forts erected in the Cherokee territory, Gilmer was the temporary headquarters of Gen. Winfield Scott, under whose command the removal was effected. The reluctant Indians were brought here and guarded until the westward march began.
New Echota Ferry ............. Located on Ga 225 at New Echota parking area NE of Calhoun. The head of the Oostanaula River is formed 200 yards northeast by the confluence of the Coosawatte and the Conasauga Rivers. The passage of travelers and freight along the Tennssee Road was served at this point by a ferry operated by the Cherokee Indians, principally by Alexander McCoy from 1819 through 1835.
New Echota.................... was the first national capital of the Cherokees, established in 1825. Here the Indians adopted a republican legislature, published a newspaper, and established a supreme court, all based on Anglo-American precedent. It was here in 1835 that the Treaty of New Echota was signed, establishing the basic pretext for the final removal of the Cherokee to the West and the Trail of Tears.
TWO MILE CREEK...............Forsyth County. Flows parallel to Four Mile Creek and then Six Mile Creek, but they all join just before entering the Chattahoochee River. The names were designated as they measured the distance along the former Middle Cherokee Trading Path from Augusta. On the Old Federal Road or Trail of Tears............
FOUR MILE CREEK.............Forsyth County, Georgia. Flows parallel to Six Mile Creek, but they all join just before entering the Chattahoochee River. The names were designated as they measured the distance along the former Middle Cherokee Trading Path or Old Federal Road from Augusta. On the Old Federal Road or Trail of Tears......
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker............Located on Ga 9 Old US 19 at Ga 369 at Coal Mountain, Georgia. OLD FEDERAL ROAD, The highway crossing east and west at this intersection is the Old Federal Road, first vehicular way and earliest postal route west of the Chattahoochee. Beginning to the east on the Hall-Jackson county line, it linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to use the route were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and formally in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.