Fort Campbell was once an Indian removal fort. near Hightower, Georgia.............Over about three weeks in spring 1838, Cherokee Indians were forcibly removed from their homes and held at the base, known as Fort Campbell, in preparation for the Trail of Tears. In their research efforts, representatives of the Historical Society of Forsyth County and the Georgia chapter of the Trail of Tears Association think they may have pinpointed the site.
LONG SWAMP CREEK................ Rises in Pickens County, Georgia and flows into Cherokee County where it empties into the Etowah River. The name is translated from the Cherokee Indian NEUCONOHETA or GATIGUNAHITA. It was recorded as LOOCCUNNA HEAT by Hawkins in 1796. A former Cherokee Indian settlement called LONG SWAMP was located at the intersection of this stream and the Etowah River, southeast of Ball Ground in Cherokee County. Also a crossing on the Old Federal Road at the Sanders Harnage Tavern. On the Old Federal Road or Trail of Tears.....
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker..................Located, 3 miles north of Tate at Jasper City Limits in Georgia. OLD FEDERAL ROAD, This highway from Tate to Talking Rock follows substantially the course of the Old Federal Road, the earliest thoroughfare to link Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Permission to use the way was granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and formally by the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tenn.
TALKING ROCK CREEK...............Pickens County, Georgia. Incorporated as a town September 24, 1883. The most probably origin is that it is a translation of a Cherokee name, Nuny-gunswaniski, which means, the talker or place of the talkers. On the Old Federal Road or Trail of Tears............
Carmel Mission State Historical Marker..............Located NW of Talking Rock, Georgia at junction of Ga 5 and Ga 136. SITE OF CARMEL OR TALONEY MISSION STATION. Just west of here in 1819 the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions established a mission station to the Cherokee Indians. Moody Hall and Henry Parker were the first missionaries sent to Carmel originally known as Taloney. March 12, 1831. Rev. Isaac Proctor, then residing here, was
Springplace Mission State Historical Marker..............Located just west of Chatsworth on Ga. 52 Alt., Murray County, Georgia. SPRINGPLACE MISSION , Southward from this spot stood this famous mission, founded in 1801 by Moravian Brethren from Salem, N.C.
Old Federal Road State Historical Marker...........Located at intersection of Ga. 52 Alt. and Ga. 225 in Spring Place, Georgia. OLD FEDERAL ROAD The earliest vehicular and postal route from northwest Georgia was the Federal Road, which led from the southeast Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, Georgia to Tennessee; a Y-shaped thoroughfare, it forked at Ramhurst toward Knoxville and Nashville. The western prong passed Spring Place, running northwestward by Ringgold and Rossville.
Chief Vann House.....................During the 1790s, James Vann became a Cherokee Indian leader and wealthy businessman. He established the largest and most prosperous plantation in the Cherokee Nation, covering 1,000 acres of what is now Murray County, Georgia. In 1804 he completed construction of a beautiful 2 and a half story brick home that was the most elegant in the Cherokee Nation. After Vann was murdered in 1809, his son Joseph inherited the mansion and plantation. Joseph was also a Cherokee leader and became even more wealthy than his father.
Sanders Harnage Tavern..............Tate House, Tate, Georgia. Ambrose Harnage lived in the Cherokee Nation with his mixed-blood wife, Nancy Sanders. Harnage was unusual for north Georgia - he was a wealthy farmer who owned slaves. He build a tavern on the site of the Tate House adjacent to the Old Federal Road probably in 1810, the year he married Sanders. Nancys mother married into the Sanders family, one of the first family of settlers in North Georgia, predating the American Revolution.
Blackburns Tavern...............Located in Forsyth County, Georgia on the North side of Old Federal Road, .7 miles West of the Etowah River. Chief James Vann lived by the sword, and died by the sword. Celebrating at Tom Buffingtons tavern along the Old Federal Road northwest of Frogtown Crossing a single shot rang out from a partially opened door and James Vann fell dead, holding a bottle in one hand, a drink in the other. His Negro slave quickly picked up his son Joseph and Vanns billfold and spirited the boy back to Spring Place.